African Space Research Organization
African Space Research Organization is the scientific project under the ASROAISA joint initiative of the Government of Ethiopia and to unite all the African nations in Science, Technology and Security. ASRO’s mission is the designing and development of launch vehicles and related technologies for providing access to space.Also the designing and development of satellites and related technologies for earth observation, communication, navigation, meteorology and space science.
ASRO is currently working on 15+ missions including nano-satellite and launch vehicles mission for the Pan African region.
African Space Research Organization work is not just limited to the Federal Republic of Ethiopia but we operates in these African countries as well – Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwana, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- ASRO National Satellite (ASRONSAT) programme for meeting telecommunication, television broadcasting and developmental applications
- ASRO Remote Sensing Satellite (ASRORSS) programme for management of natural resources and monitoring of environment using space based imagery
- Space based Applications for Societal development
- Research and Development in space science and planetary exploration
- Operational flights of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)
- Developmental flight of Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV- Mk II)
- Development of heavy lift Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-Mk III)
- Design, Development and Realization of Communication Satellites
- Design, Development and Realization of Earth Observation Satellites
- Development of Navigation Satellite Systems
- Development of satellites for Space Science and Planetary Exploration
- Earth Observation Applications
- Space based systems for Societal Applications
- Advanced Technologies and newer initiatives
- Training, Capacity building and Education
- Promotion of Space technology
- Infrastructure / Facility Development for space research
- International Cooperation
- Harness space technology for national development, while pursuing space science research and planetary exploration